Monday, November 18, 2013

There's unlimited juice?! These interviews are going to be off the hook!

Sawubona!

The search for Mexican food continued this week in the most unusual of places... McDonald's! They're serving a burger called the Mexican, but in my opinion, adding jalapeno sauce to a burger doesn't constitute real Mexican food...so the search continues in vain.

I forgot to mention a couple things from last Sunday...we have a ward mission leader now! Bishop called Vuyo Thompson last week, and I couldn't be more stoked! He had been less active for a long time, but as we started visiting with him, he started coming back to church, and had been praying for a calling... Well my friends, his prayers were answered, as were ours! The work is moving forward in Kimberley and I couldn't be more excited to be a part of it! Also, last week I was asked to give a talk (if you'll recall...my phone number was wrong in the ward directory at my USU student ward...never talked nor had a calling...but this is my third time talking in Kimberley...I guess it all evens out!). Anyway, Bishop Tshabalala asked me just to fill the remaining time which should have been about 15 minutes. Welp...Sister Dyers was speaking before me and started about 20 after, so if she had spoken about 20 minutes, I could have done the same. But bless her heart, she spoke for a solid five minutes! And when I looked at the clock, there were 35 minutes left... Elder Reeves and Bishop looked at each other and almost burst out laughing. So I tried my best to fill the rest of the time but only managed to squeeze out 25 minutes... Bishop covered the rest of the time for me thank goodness! But it was ok, because brevity is the soul of wit, and Sister Dyers packed more of a punch into her five minute talk on sacrament than in my twenty five!

P-day last Monday was great. The plan was to play 9 holes, but we were all low on allotment...so we decided to push it off a week and do something that was a little more free. We ended up playing basketball and soccer with our whole district which was great fun! Man...one day I'm gonna be bending it like Beckham. One day...

Elder Gold and I started Tuesday off the best way possible...by waking up at 4:30 and running up Naval Hill to Nelson Mandela and watching the sunrise! Man...it got me pumped for the day! Elder Gold rocks man. He said I'd get along with one of his best friends back home because we're both "spasmadically musically oriented." I think I'll definitely take that as a compliment. After studies we went for lunch to this place that braais pork and beef...for 20 rand, you get a piece of pork or beef, a big side of pap, two salads, and a wors. And it's GOOD! You could never find that much food, let alone GOOD food, for that cheap in the states! Man...it was the best. After that we had interviews with President Zackrison, and I just can't begin to express how much I love that man. He's so inspired in everything he does, and he loves the missionaries of the mission so much! We talked a lot about Kimberley and personal conversion and being a consecrated missionary. It's crazy how he knew exactly what I needed to hear to help me. There's a scripture in D&C...I can't remember where it is exactly, but it talks about how if you can only bring one soul unto Heavenly Father, how great your joy will be. The first person you need to start with is yourself. The Gospel is true...that I can promise you!

We made it back to Kimberley that night and visited a couple less actives. Wednesday it was back to work! It's getting hot here, and we don't have an AC in our bedroom BUT we do have one in the kitchen... So I had the idea in the morning to move our beds to the kitchen. Elder Reeves was just sort of like "Um...ok, I guess we could do that if you really want to..." Kinda thought I was an idiot. But as he thought about it the rest of the day he realized the brilliance of it... Anyway long story short our beds are in the kitchen now and it's the best thing ever.

The rest of the week was filled with appointments (many of which were bunked but it was ok because the work has to move forward!) and lots of teaching! We had a meeting with Bishop Friday and guess what...his wife gave birth! She's in Bloemfontein though because the doctors that have to help her are there...anyway he hasn't had the chance to get there and see his new daughter yet, so we're giving him a ride today when we drive down! I'm so excited for him. This is his second child, and he's just so so so happy. So am I. So much happy!

Sunday Liberty was confirmed, which was incredible. So happy for her.  Zenzile and Liberty are both official members now! Woot woot! We had FHE with the young men last night too, and man...they're gonna make great missionaries one day!

Aight that's it for me! Off to the driving range today, and I'll have transfer news next week! Wherever I end up, I know it's where the Lord needs me. The church is true, my friends!

Lekker dag. Stay well, stay positive, love your lives.

Elda Johnson

No comments:

Post a Comment