Monday, November 25, 2013

I've never heard such a smell...

"I love my husband so much. She's the best." If you don't see anything wrong with the title of the email or the previous statement, congratulations! You speak English like a real African! Haha, it cracks me up. Men get referred to as she, women as him and he... But I guess when you're in a country with 12 official languages, little things like gender aren't that important.

Anywho...man, it's been an exciting week! Saturday night we got transfer news, and Elder Kambuzuma informed me I was getting transferred to the coast!!! I was kinda bummed since I didn't feel my time in Kimberley was over... But I started packing up my closet, and then we get another call from Rocklands and Bloemanda... They were busting up laughing when they heard I was packing because they were just kidding and I'm actually staying in Kimberley one more transfer. Hallelujah!!! Those jokesters... Don't worry, I'll get em back somehow. 

So the Clusters are a couple that have been in Durban, but they just moved to Bloemfontein this last week and Elder Reeves and I had dinner with them last Monday. And you'll never believe what we had.... TACOS!!!!!!!!!!!! I know I probably shouldn't be this excited about something as simple as tacos, but when it's been four and a half months since you've had real Mexican food... Yeah, it's kind of a big deal. Anyway, Elder and Sister Cluster are the bomb. 

For p-day last week we went golfing at Emoya again. Just when I think my slice is fixed... Eish. One day. Even if it takes me til I'm an old man, I will fix my slice and be great at golf and hustle my grandkids out of money. K I probably won't do that...but you get the idea.

The rest of the week has been great. We've been out of pass-along cards though...and when I say we, I mean the entire Bloemfontein zone, so that's been kinda rough. I feel naked without pass-along cards. You share something short about the gospel with someone while you're standing in line at a petrol garage...and then that's it. You can't give them a chance to learn more by calling the number on the card and getting a free DVD about how they can find faith in Christ. :( But it's ok, the work must move forward somehow!

The Carliles were in Kimberley this week for our boarding check, and we passed with flying colors! But only after they checked off our car and boarding did the ceiling start leaking water, the shower drain get clogged, and the car start leaking petrol...eish. We've got it all under control though, don't worry!

We've been visiting lots and lots of less-active members, and one of them had a grandmother pass away, so Elder Reeves and I attended the funeral this Saturday. South African funerals are way different than American ones though... It's kind of an all-week ordeal. The whole family gathers, there's food all day every day (they slaughter a sheep or two just to feed everyone), and it kinda concludes on a Saturday. It was at the NICC church, and man... It's different than any Mormon funeral I've ever been to. Most of it was in Tswana, so we couldn't understand, but we're pretty sure one of the songs (one of the MANY songs they sung) was Brightly Beams our Father's Mercy in Tswana, so that was really really cool. It finished with the pastor yelling about how only God will remain standing.  Very interesting. But! We bumped into a couple members from JoBurg there, so that was pretty sweet. They came to sacrament meeting Sunday too. 

Thursday night we had dinner at the Visagies and they had maas for me to try (don't worry, there's a video). Basically what it is...is sour milk, but for some reason or another South Africans buy it and enjoy it. Anyway I wouldn't truly have been South African if I didn't try it at least once... So... Yeah. I've eaten sour milk. Hoorah for Israel!

And I think the highlight of the week... We got a call Saturday morning from a man named Richard. I dunno how he got the missionaries' number, but he wanted to meet at the church at 12. He brought his family and they are so ready to receive the message of the Restoration it's ridiculous. 

That's it for me this week! We're off to Bloem now for a turkey bowl and Thanksgiving dinner at the Carliles! Woot woot! They don't do Thanksgiving in South Africa... So this is the best we can do. We'll teach the young men football on real Thanksgiving too. Should be an awesome week.

Stay well, stay positive, love your life ladies and gents.

Much love,

Elda Man Skaap
(That's man sheep in Afrikaans...and that's what Smalls, Fad, and Bakang keep calling me...not exactly sure why, but they bust up laughing every time they do)

No comments:

Post a Comment