Monday, March 17, 2014

Having fun isn't hard, when you've got a pass along card!

Sawubona!

Eish I really hope I haven't used that subject line already... If I have I'll go repent and try and do better next week. Sorry guys.

In other news, we did a little bit of habitat destruction this week. Elder Gonzales and I are to blame for this heart wrenching story. The dishes piling up in the kitchen, the food wrappers, and the crumbs all over the floor and counters have been cleaned, and the poor roaches making their homes there are going to have to find new places to stay. Please keep them in your prayers this week (just kidding, please please please don't keep them in your prayers).

Oh man... Another freaking lekker week in Newcastle! Last week, Elder Mukonda and I had the lesson at family home evening. We had everyone in the room write down something for someone else to do, whether it was dancing, singing, or rubbing your belly and patting your head at the same time. The catch was after you had given something to someone to do... Uh oh! That's what you have to do! Thank goodness I can pat my head and rub my belly at the same time. Lots and lots of laughs were shared.

Tuesday was back to work, and yoh... The people we are blessed with to teach right now are incredible. Teaching honest seekers of the truth is incredible. There's the lessons where the person you're teaching could care less what the Spirit has to tell them, and then there are the lessons where people's hearts and minds are opened, and those are the lessons that every missionary should strive for. We've had so many of them this week it's been incredible!

Went on exchanges in Osizweni with Elder Morole on Wednesday, and holy cow... This guy knows more American music than any other South African I've ever met. Have any of you heard of Allred? Local acoustic guy from Utah that not too many people outside of the state have heard of? Yeah, Elder Morole was asking me about him! I was blown away! Also, do you remember me talking about sphatlos in Kimberley? It's like a quarter loaf of bread with a heart attack of meat inside? They have a version in Osizweni we tried called a quantum, and the difference is that it's a whole loaf of bread instead of a quarter. If I perish of cardiac arrest this week, just know that my taste buds died happy. Oh and we also committed two people to baptism, taught some great lessons , and found a referral for Newcastle that day too :)

So here's a funny story... Lungani's one of the young men, and he was talking to us Friday about teaching with us Saturday, but he couldn't until the afternoon because of a rugby game he was playing in by JoBurg. "Don't even think about calling me in the morning," he says, "wait til the afternoon." So we laughed it off and said ok. Then Saturday we get a call from him at 8:30 asking us to pick him up before we go out teaching. Lo and behold, he slept in 'til 5 and missed his 4 AM bus. So we laughed it off again and he came teaching with us and translated to Zulu for some of our investigators. Blessing in disguise?

President Mabhena had been asking about bringing two more missionaries to Newcastle, so I got a chance to talk to President Zackrison about it after interviews last week, and due to the number of areas doing the whole hastening the work thing, missionaries probably aren't gonna be available til the last quarter of the year. So Sunday, I was talking to President Mabhena about this, when all of a sudden who should walk out of the bathroom than President Zackrison himself! He paid a surprise visit to Newcastle, and we were able to discuss the direction of the work with him, our branch president, and branch mission leader. What a blessing! I guess he needed to do interviews with the Swazi elders still, and Newcastle was a good meeting place. They ended up sleeping over at our boarding last night which was buckets of spiritual fun.

Welp, I got a call from an investigator this week telling me it's my job (no one else's) to convert him this week and save his soul, so I've got that to prepare for tomorrow. Stay tuned next week so see how this turns out. 

Sala kahle my brothers and sisters.

Much love,

Elder Johnson

No comments:

Post a Comment