Monday, September 2, 2013

Een, twee, drie, veertien!

Sawubona family and friends!

So just to update you on my Afrikaans learning, I can now say "Ek soek kos" which I think means "I want food." So at least I'll be able to eat if I'm stranded alone with Afrikaaners. And also, if you can tell me what song I'm referring to in the title, I'll mail you a two rand.

But anyway, this week has been exciting! We had to stay in Bloemfontein til Wednesday night because our car had to go in for its 60,000 kilo service, so Tuesday and Wednesday I went on splits with the Rocklands elders. They had someone who needed a baptismal interview that was taking a while, so while Elder Francom was conducting the interview, I did a mock interview for Elder Dube and he passed with flying colors! When I asked "Do you have a testimony of God the Eternal Father?" he asked "Who's that?" I pointed to a kid down the street and he was like "Ohhh. Yeah I have a testimony of him!" 

The next day I went with Elder Childs and I taught some of the best lessons I've taught so far. It's crazy how much you actually do know when you teach by the Spirit. I was pulling out scripture references I didn't even know I knew! But I had another realization also...we learn from our companions just as much as the investigators learn from us. We each, as I like to call it, kind of have our own arsenal of scriptures. Scriptures that we love and have helped us in our lives in different ways, and they can help others as well, sometimes in completely different ways. The same scripture can be significant to someone for an entirely different reason than it is for you. The Spirit knows each of us personally and will help us with our own unique struggles.

So we finally drove back to Kimberley Wednesday night, had dinner at Sister Mpho's, and slept in our own beds for the first time since Saturday...yho, it was a long week! But Thursday was busy, and so was Friday, and so was Saturday, which is good! Lots of teaching, lots of planning, lots of good work done! Liberty recommitted to baptism on the 15th of September, and Bupilo committed as well! So excited for both of them!

Yesterday was my birthday, and it honestly was just about as good as it can get for being a world away from my family and friends! Fetch...I'm 20!!!! I woke up to texts from the ZLs, the Carliles, and Bakang, and a birthday package from the family! I think I may have been the most excited about getting a giant tin of refried beans...Man, I miss Mexican food SO much it's not even funny. But! There are twins in the ward, Smalls and Fad, and their birthday was yesterday too! They entered teenage years and I left. But we celebrated with them at FHE last night with cookies, and then we celebrated at the landlords as well. I made David Earl Miller's famous SBO pudding the night before, and even on the other side of the world, still the best desert around! Elder Kruger and the landlords couldn't get enough of it! He even asked me to have another 20th birthday soon so I'd have an excuse to make it again. ;) But man, they're so cool. They got me a tie and some South African candy! 

So anyway, here's a couple highlights of the week. I decided to stick a pass-along card in my wallet in case it gets stolen. I wrote on it "Call this number for a DVD. It's as free as my wallet was. Enjoy your day!" Hehe... And also, you know how people say "tomato tomatto?" Yeah I didn't think people actually pronounce it to-mah-toe...but they do down here! Crazy Afrikaaners... Also, lightbulbs in America are called globes here. It's whack.

Enjoy this next week everyone! Stay safe, stay positive, and love your lives!

Much love,

Elda Johnson

No comments:

Post a Comment