Monday, September 16, 2013

Eat, drink, and be merry, for tomorrow we have diarrhea


Sawubona!

Well I guess it wouldn't really be a mission if you didn't end up sick in bed with the worst diarrhea you've ever had, neh? ;) A day of throwing up and being sick will really help you appreciate the days of good health. I had a little Seinfeld moment though...it's been a few years since I've thrown up...reminded me of Jerry's experience with his 10 year or however many streak getting flushed down the toilet at a bakery, only mine was down the church toilet during sacrament meeting yesterday.
But! This week has been a good one. Last week on p-day, we hit the driving range. I was hoping that maybe traveling halfway around the world would fix my slice, but sadly, it didn't. All I did was prove that it's possible to hit a golf ball farther right than straight. We met up with some other missionaries a little later, and Elder Jeppesen and I are no longer the youngest missionaries in the zone! Woo! Elder...fetch, I forgot his name. Anyway, he's from Ephraim and he's a sicko (in a good way).
Tuesday we had district meetings and didn't get back to Kimberley until about 5. I was asked to give the closing prayer, and apparently when I said "thankful," it sounded like "sankful." Needless the say the Asian jokes have been coming all week. I get a text from Elder Francom almost everyday sanking me for something. We had to stop by the ZLs to pick up a washer before we left, because ours is broken...ish. It's a long story. Anyway, it turns out that the washer we took with us was actually a dryer. Sister Carlile told us we have the wrong idea about "dry cleaning" our clothes... ;) hehe. We had dinner with the Visagis that night, and they had an investigator there for us to teach! We taught the Restoration...and I'm still learning how to teach...my problem is that I try to teach too much on the first lesson. And especially with the Restoration, there's a LOT to cover. Sooo next time we teach her we're just gonna review the first lesson and make sure she understands just how lekker Joseph Smith is.
So Elder Kruger has a friend from Cape Town that just started staying in Kimberley for the next few months... His name's Patrick O'Brien. He's on a rugby contract. He plays for the Griqas I think, and holy. fetching. crap. He is HUGE! Like no joke, I think his arms are bigger than my legs. He's a member though, so I'm excited to see the reaction he gets when he comes to church next Sunday. I literally think he could kill me with one punch. But we met with him Thursday, showed him around town a little bit, took him to the flamingos, and even took him teaching with us. We saw Gert again, and I gave him a Book of Mormon with my testimony in the front. And guess what...I got a "Jesus loves you!" from him this time! Man...I just really hope he reads it. But other than that, we did a LOT of visiting less-actives Thursday.
Friday, we went tracting for the first time in a while. We were gonna play soccer with Tshiamo and some of the other young men, but they were asleep, so knocking doors was the back-up. We found a young man named Roderick, and he'd heard of the church before, so he guessed I was from Utah. We shared the Gospel with him, and we're hoping to hear back! The ZLs called us a little later in the day and asked us to do a musical number at ZTM this week, so we're doing a piano/guitar rendition of Book of Mormon Stories with Elder Sekurime on the vocals. It shall be quite lekker!

Saturday Patrick was going to try and get us tickets to his rugby game, but he couldn't get us any extras...dang. But we did a lot of teaching! Drunk people always have the most fascinating stories... When we were teaching the Mothelesis, a drank man came and sat in on the lesson and started telling us how he knows Jesus is white because he saw God. Hmmm.
And Sunday...well, let's just say that a day of resting does the body good. I was sick all morning, but we cancelled all our appointments and I got some good sleep. All I ate yesterday was a piece of toast and a 500ml Coca Cola. Luckily, I was feeling well enough at night to make it to FHE with the young men. They were bummed I didn't have Pop Rocks this week, but I made cookies and they like those just as much! The Kimberley Diamond Cup is next week, which is like the big skateboarding competition. Kruger and I may drop in with Smalls and Fud! Plus the school kids are on break next week, and Smalls is gonna teach me how to ollie and kick flip. Imma be the next Tony Hawk by the time I'm done here!
Welp, I think that's it for me this week. Oh! Just kidding, one more thing! So I'm reading the New Testament right now, and it's absolutely incredible. Once I'm finished, I'm gonna conquer a beast...I'm going to read Isaiah and understand it. Pray for me please. I'm gonna need it.
Take care, stay positive, and love your life my good people. Jesus loves you!
Much love,

Elder Johnson

No comments:

Post a Comment