Monday, March 2, 2015

It's as simple as something that nobody knows...

Sanbonani!

Sometimes those surreal, spiritual moments come when you least expect them. We woke up this morning, and it was pouring rain. It's been pouring all day basically. Mondays are our day to drive to the mission office, and the drive along the N2 is beautiful. The beautiful landscape of green grass, palm trees, and shacks mingled with middle class homes breaks every once in a while to give you a glimpse of the Indian Ocean. It was especially breathtaking today as there was a pause in the precipitation. The roads were wet, but the sky was clear. Meanwhile, Jack Johnson lulled us into a sense that everything is ok.

But that wasn't the end of it.

I was in the market for a pair of shorts today, so we stopped by a surf shop at the mall in Westville. I'd been in there a couple times before and become acquainted with the manager. He's this muscular man, probably in his 50s or 60s that's been in the surfing game for 42 years. His name's Dave. (I've never met a person I didn't like named Dave. Yes, King of Life, I'm talking to you.) He asked us, "What's the word today my friends? What have you been studying?" My response was, "I've been pondering a lot lately on Truth." "Truth," he said, "sets you free." I couldn't have agreed more. We discussed the greatest, and probably the hardest, commandment that Christ's ever given us, and that is to love our neighbours as ourselves. Very easily said, but much more difficult put into practice. I mentioned that my family and I are moving to Hawaii (which caught the cute cashier's attention...one of those moments where I looked at my name tag and just thought...dang it), and he went on for a little while about his deep, spiritual connection with the ocean. If I hadn't decided to learn to surf when I get home already, the decision was final now. All the while, Jack Johnson was telling us, "Gotta get to the seeeeeea."

So I guess that was just one of those moments that put us in a happy place. Gotta love people named Dave.

Yoh, what a week it's been! There was a chance it was going to be my last in Umlazi, but we got transfer news and it's lookin' like I'll be spending one more transfer here! I dunno, it's interesting... I had kinda felt like I had done what the Lord needed me to do here, but transfer news came as kind of a humbling moment, as it seems to do quite a bit for me. I've gotten into the habit over the last few months of "knowing" where the Lord is going to need me to go, and I get a little disappointed when I find out I actually don't know as much as I think I do. What's sustained me, though, has been the hymn I'll Go Where You Want Me to Go. The line that's been repeating in my head for months and months is, "It may not be at the battle's front my Lord would have need of me." So what does that mean? Time to go find out why the Lord needs me in Umlazi for one more transfer! Let's do it!

But yeah, this week!

Teaching wise, it's been a little bit slow, but it's been powerful. We were a little bit worried about Primrose. She's overcome a lot on her path to baptism, and we've been hoping and praying for her constantly that she'll have the strength to stay on that path. She's the example in her house now, which is tough to go at alone, but she's been handling it like a champ. Bishop Magaqa gave her a warm invitation to Institute this week, and she went and loved it. The ward's doing a great job of reaching out to her, and guess what... She even brought her son to church on Sunday to witness her confirmation! She's reading the Book of Mormon like crazy. She's happy when we visit. She's kicking temptation in the butt. Life is good for her.

The Mcanyanas are fantastic. It feels like they've been members forever... And Spha and Anelisa were just confirmed yesterday. Ma's been called as the YSA teacher, which she's been crazy nervous about, but talking to some of the YSA's in the ward, they've been waiting for a looooong time for a teacher like her. We painted their house on Saturday, and for a couple foreigners that have no painting skills, I think we did a pretty darn good job.

Learned some good lessons on planning this week, on the Atonement (s/o to Elder Wilson for his DDM lesson!), on being grateful in all circumstances, on loving those we serve... It's been good. I think this week's been a little bit more for us as missionaries than for the investigators. But I think that's ok from time to time. Not every week... But every once in a while. After all, we're trying to become more like Christ as well.

Gonna be a crazy transfer this next couple days... We have to wake up early tomorrow to pick up some elders at the bust station in Durban (5:45 we have to be there...and it's a half hour drive from our boarding #YOLO), we're splitting our area, Chatsworth is reopening, and a couple elders in the zone are training... Including! Including Elder Doane in Margate! So what does that mean? One last exchange in South Africa's Newport Beach before I leave the zone!

Things are good. Life is good as ever. I'm happy. Ngijabulo. 

Sala kahle my friends. Stay positive. Love your lives.

Thanda kakhulu,

iGosa Johnson

No comments:

Post a Comment