Monday, February 9, 2015

BRT. FU JS-H & BoM.

Sanbonani!

Man, I was looking at my planner earlier this week and I realized just
how much I've started to use abbreviations... I dunno if it's a good
thing or a bad thing. Like my subject line was our whole plan for a
recent convert the other night. Just a couple letters but I know
exactly what it means. "Build a relationship of trust. Follow up on
reading from Joseph Smith History and the Book of Mormon." I guess
it's kind of a parable or a form of symbolism, eh? Or maybe I'm just
lazy. One of the two.

Man... This was one of those weeks I really felt the Spirit's guidance
and witnessed a number of good things happen because of it. It started
with zone training meeting. I had a lesson prepared on spirituality
and obedience, but the couple days before the meeting I was feeling
nervous, anxious, not sure how it was going to go. But the day before,
the thought came to me to shift the focus of the lesson from obedience
to teaching. As I decided to do that tonight, I was at peace. Zone
training meeting went well, and one of the missionary's we've been
most concerned with came up to me afterwards, put his arm around me,
and said what a great meeting it was. He's been on a streak of
disobedience his whole mission and is notorious for his "I do what I
want" attitude. After the meeting, though, and a few words from the Z
man, he's gone through somewhat of a transformation. He's told Elder
Aman'galia that he just wants to work hard. He's not perfect yet, but
he's trying. And I think that's all we can ask for. There are
missionaries still struggling, but hey... I think we did at least a
little bit of good.

We've had time to follow up on some contacts this week. I learned back
in Stanger... That contacting a bunch of people is one thing.
Following up on them is another thing. You can contact 928347 people,
but if you don't follow up with any of them... Ah, it's for nothing.
We saw some good come from it, too. It's tough to find babas that will
let you teach them about the Book of Mormon, but we found one this
week! They're out there... You just have to do a bit of searching.

We meet a good amount of intoxicated people. One of them this week is
named Albert, but we just call him Hamba. He walked in on a lesson
last week, and when Elder Aman'galia was telling him goodbye ("hamba
kahle" in Zulu), he came and corrected him. "Hhhhhamba! You must
emphasize the hhhhh! Hhhamba!" He even started waving his hands
around. It was comical. We're just hoping we can find him sober.

We've been working at Brother Bunny's a lot this week. We've
essentially demolished the top floor that was burnt in preparations
for rebuilding. It's sad how much was last. We've been loading rubble
into a dumpster, and amidst it we've been finding old pictures...
Salvaging what we can. "It's all up in flames," he keeps saying with
an unsettled look on his face. Pictures of missionaries from the 80s
or 90s judging by their haircuts and glasses... Man. But he's strong.
He's moving forward.

Zulu names are super cool because they all have meanings behind them.
Like Nqobizizwe. It translates in English to "Conqueror of Nations."
Honestly... How sick is that?! Mom and Dad why was I not named
Conqueror of Nations Johnson?! But it's funny... People will ask me,
"What does your surname mean?" I tell them it means my dad's name is
John. But then that doesn't explain why Kiley and Biz's surnames
aren't Cheriedaughter. Hmmm...

I think I found part of the sealed portion of the Book of Mormon this
week... 5th Nephi. Here's what it says:

1. What man is there of you, who, if his son ask coffee, will give him
Coca Cola?
2. Or if he ask for Dr. Pepper, will give him tea?
3. If ye then can distinguish between hot drinks and cold, why then
refrainest thou from drinking from the Fountain of Living Waters, even
Coca Cola?
4. Know ye not that is written, hot drinks are not for the body and belly?
5. Wherefore, be diligent in keeping the commandments of the Lord, but
createst thou not thine own commandments. Amen.

It came just in time, too... Elder Wilson was mentioning how it's been
a while since he had a Coke. "Since before you joined the Church?"
asked a member. "...something like that," said Elder Wilson.

So! What lies ahead this week? Exchanges up the wazoo... District
activity at Moses Mabhida! Watching Amazulu take on the Pirates! Woot
woot! Interviews... Aaaand some more of doing the Lord's work.

Life is good. Things are going great here. I'm happy. Good things are
happening. The gospel is true as ever. Things are just great.

Sala kahle, stay positive, and love your lives my friends.

Much love,

Umdala Johnson

No comments:

Post a Comment