Monday, February 17, 2014

Take a good look, Queensburgh, 'cause it's the last time you'll be seeing these!

Sawubona!
Yoh yoh yoh... You just never know what to expect with Big Z! So week 5 Saturday night is the night we get transfer news, which, if there's a chance you're leaving, is always pretty exciting, but for Elder Higley and myself, should have been just another night since we're both new to the area. SHOULD being the key word. I was on exchanges with Elder Bagley in Pinetown that day when we got a call from President informing me that I'll be follow-up training a missionary in Newcastle the next week. And with that, my time in Queensburgh comes to a close. I've been super confused as to why I'm leaving so soon... But I have a strong testimony that President is inspired. His transfers never seem to make much sense, but somehow they work. For example, the elders in Kroonstad were moved to Welkom and would only be visiting Kroonstad once a week. It didn't make sense because the Kroonstad group (not ward, not branch, but group) was struggling pretty bad. But, as I've recently learned, the area has started flourishing ever since the change. They even had a couple baptisms this week! So, as sad as I am to be leaving Queensburgh already, I'm looking forward with excitement to Newcastle. :) 
In other news though, our week in Queensburgh... Between member missionary work and accidentally finding a bunch of solid new investigators, it's been freakin' lekker! So Sister Shaik and her son Zak... Man, they just love the gospel and want to share it so bad and are definitely better missionaries than Elder Higley and I! Well, better than me anyway. But she had a DVD to deliver to someone, so we took it, and went to the right house but found the wrong person, which turned into a blessing, because we ended up teaching a couple sisters. Then just after that, we went to visit a man we found last week while trying to find a less-active family that, as we soon found out, had moved away. He has so much faith in Christ, and we were able to have about an hour and a half discussion just exchanging ideas. No hostility between us or him, just a nice discussion. We were able to share the Restoration with him and give him a Book of Mormon while we were at it! I think it may have been my favorite lesson we've ever taught!
So Friday night was Valentine's Day, and we scored the hottest date around... Dinner with Granny Heather! It was actually her birthday too, so we had a grand ol' time. The old folks home she lives at had given her this big ol' gift basket with non-alcoholic champagne lookin' stuff, and so she let us open it. First time I've ever popped a cork off a bottle. We got just about as tipsy as the Word of Wisdome allows.
Elder Gold's dying this transfer, so his bus came in to Durban from Bloemfontein at about 5:30 this morning... But since it's his last p-day and also because YOLO, Elder Brimhall, Elder Faganello, and I picked him up and went for a six mile run along the beach. Man it was so nice... Smelling the ocean... Being so close to it, yet so far at the same time... Didn't help that Gold was rubbing it in that he'll be surfing in Cali in a couple of days and chowing Mexican food. Eish... But it's cool. He'll be missing out on hastening the work of salvation this side!
Great adventures lie ahead...and I can't wait. :) Stay well, stay positive, love your lives.

Baie liefde,
Elda Johnson

No comments:

Post a Comment