Monday, January 20, 2014

Take a good look, Pinetown, 'cause it's the last time you'll be seeing these!

Sawubona!

Feels good to actually be able to say that in a Zulu area! But oddly enough, you're reading the title to the email right. Man, this transfer has been anything but normal. At the Pinetown ward yesterday, I got to give my welcoming testimony, which consequently was also my departing testimony. I think it was...Friday night? Anyway, we got a call from the assistants at about 9 asking us to come to the office. "What did we do? Are we getting fire? Wait, we didn't even do anything! What the fetch is going on?!" "No fire," they told us. I guess what was happening is that their area, Queensburgh, has lots and lots of potential and lots of members that want to do missionary work, but due to them being the APs, they don't get a lot of time to proselyte. So since the Pinetown ward has four missionaries, they're moving two of us to their area, and they'll be the other Pinetown elders. But the story doesn't end there... We get a call from Big Z (that's what I like to call President Zackrison, but I don't know that he knows I like to call him that...Sister Zackrison, if you're reading the blog, can you ask him if that's ok?) the next day and are informed Elder Rajaonarison will be getting transferred near Lesotho. So gosh dang it, I only got to be with my hip-hop hipster French-speaking companion from Madagascar for a week. But you know, it's ok. I have a strong testimony that the Lord knows what he's doing and that His hand is in this work. As cliche as it sounds, everything happens for a reason. Just move forward with faith, and you'll learn what you need to learn and do what you've been called to do.

So, long story short... I'll be with Elder Higley this week, white washing the APs' old area. Luckily, I'm in the same boarding for the time being, until they can find a better one in Queensburgh. Eish, be careful about asking the Lord for a challenge, because he just may give it to you! Bring it on!

But other than that, it's been a pretty solid week! The last p-day in Bloem was excellent. I uh... I had been telling Elders Reeves, Gold, and Stengile that I wanted to eat a whole chicken at Nando's for quite some time. So uh... Not wanting to go back on a challenge, I did just that! Ate a full chicken doused in peri-peri sauce. Delicious to the taste, but uh... I paid for it on the bus-ride to Durban that night though...yoh. It taught me a lesson. Be thankful for the little things in life, such as toilets on Greyhound busses. 

The zone hit up a soccer game later in the day though. South Africa's hosting some tournament. No one knows exactly what it is or why it's happening, but we saw Ghana and Congo play. Man... The stadium was empty, but we were in Ghana's fan section and they were WILD. When I got to Pinetown the next day, members of the bishopric had seen the missionaries on TV... Any publicity is good publicity, right?

So just a couple cool happenings from my week in Pinetown... We were trying to find where someone stayed who had called for a DVD, and in the process gave a pass-along card to someone on the street. Didn't think much of it, but we kept on a walking, and about five minutes later, the man comes running after us, panting, and says, "I want to join you guys!" It caught Raj and I both super off-guard and were just speechless. That doesn't just happen! But it did, and it was awesome, and we started teaching him later in the week.

Crazy crazy stuff this week... Hoping for a pretty normal transfer the next four weeks! But with the way things have been going lately, I don't think there's such thing as normal in this mission. But no matter what, the work must be hastened and moved forward! Hoorah for Israel!

Stay well this week, stay positive, and love your lives.

Much love,

Elder Johnson

No comments:

Post a Comment