Monday, October 14, 2013

I'm gonna pop some tags, only got 198.17 rand in my pocket


Sawubona!
So to all my friends out there who have ever played signs with me... In my basement after dances, at the McRae household, and in the second floor lobby of Snow Hall... Those hours and hours of laughing and having good times paid off! Last week Monday we had dinner at the Groblers, the Bloemfontein stake president, and oh man did we play signs, and oh man was I the master. I may have succumbed to all the silly pranks they tried to pull on the new guy earlier in the night (no worries, I ended up with flour on my face and water down my pants), but man oh man... They didn't know who they were dealing with when it came to signs. But that wasn't even the highlight of the night! Probably the hardest I've laughed since I left home... In the middle of the game, it was silent. Dead silent. Then President Grobler had a weird look on his face, and all of a sudden he cut the cheese. We all looked at him, and to this moment, I have no idea if it was an accident or not. Either way, we all busted up laughing. The moral of the story: even the stake president farts.
This week though has been lots of goodbyes. There comes a time in every missionary's life where he has to say goodbye to his father (just to give you an idea of the mission lingo, your father is your trainer, you are his son, your first area is your birthplace, when you go home from mission you die, and your last companion kills you...every once in a while you have sons that kill their fathers...it sounds bad, but you get used to it). Anyway, Elder Kruger's getting transferred this week, and he's killing his next companion. Luckily I haven't become a murderer...yet. Hehe. But anyway, it's been bitter-sweet goodbyes all week, but it has been a great one.

Monday we went to Emoya again for Elder Francom's last p-day, and guess what...he fixed my slice!!! I don't remember the last time I was consistently hitting a golf ball straight! So that was awesome. Goodbyes with him sucked though... I'm gonna miss that man. Oh yeah, I dunno if I mentioned he's dying this transfer.  Tuesday was our last DDM with him, and then it was back to Kimberley for more goodbyes for Elder Kruger.
Wednesday we had the Rocklands Elders and the Carliles in Kimberley to do boarding check, car check, and then Elder Kambuzuma had to do a baptismal interview for us! Stay tuned, more on that later. I was on splits with Elder Childs Wednesday and we did some quality teaching. I love that man. He teaches with authority and with such a strong testimony. He's tall and built though, and I think he may have intimidated a couple investigators. I guess whatever you have to do to get them in the font, eh? Hehe, just kidding.
Thursday we had dinner at the Seditis, and they made us our long-promised meal of sheep head and feet. No, I'm not kidding. We literally ate the eyeball and the feet of a fetching sheep. I could still see (and even feel in my mouth...oy) the wrinkles on its skin. But. That's off the bucketlist now and I never ever ever have to eat sheep head and feet again. Still need to try chicken feet though...
Saturday we went back to the orphanage we helped out at for Mormon Helping Hands and finished up some painting. We had a braai at the church afterwards and ate a tone. And then I guess the thing with goodbyes when missionaries leave an area is everyone feeds you... And so for the first time ever we were praying that the less-actives we were seeing right after weren't going to feed us. But lo and behold, we arrived at their place to two giant plates of chicken, rice, hot dogs, and another bowl of desert. To give you an idea of how much we ate this week, I weighed myself at the Carliles last week and was 160. Last night, 167. If overeating is against the Word of Wisdom I need to go repent.
But Sunday...man, Sunday was a fetching incredible day. First off, we had a random girl show up to church just because she felt like she should go. Not a member or anything, just an investigator. Does that even happen?! So I'll be seeing her this next week with my new companion. And to top Sunday off, Zenzile was baptized!!! Man, we're so stoked for him. He's progressed a ton since the first time I saw him. Baptizing him was one of the best mission experiences so far. Elder Kruger talked afterwards and had tears in his eyes. He said there couldn't have been a better way to leave Kimberley.

But sadly, Elder Kruger's moving on to bigger and better places. He's getting transferred to Berea, which is right in the heart of Durban. We're throwing him on the bus tonight at 8, and then I'll be meeting my new companion Elder Reeves tomorrow night at 9! All I know about him is that Elder Childs thinks he went to Riverton, but Elder Francom told me I'm gonna love this guy. I'll be with the Bloemanda Elders tomorrow until we pick up the new guy. I'm stoked... Elder Reeves and I are gonna rock Kimberley and its big hole!!!
Well that's it for me this week. Tune in next week to learn more about the adventures of Elder Reeves and Elder Johnson in Kimberley!

Stay well, stay safe, stay positive, and LOVE YOUR LIVES!
Much love,
Heeeeeeey pastor!!!!
(my name when we're walking through Galeshewe as the only two white people in the township)

No comments:

Post a Comment